Sophos evolves to meet every new challenge, protecting more than 400,000 organizations of all sizes in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyberthreats. Powered by SophosLabs, our cloud-native and AI-enhanced solutions are able to adapt and evolve to secure endpoints and networks against never-before-seen cybercriminal tactics and techniques. Managed through our award-winning, cloud-based platform, Sophos Central, our best-of-breed products work together through our unique Synchronized Security system to share threat intelligence and respond to evolving threats. The Sophos suite of products secures networks and endpoints against automated and active-adversary breaches, ransomware, malware, exploits, data exfiltration, phishing, and more.
IT security is hot right now; don’t believe me just check the news! For most it’s too hot to handle, for those up for the challenge please keep reading.
IT is at the heart of what Sophos do. They are an integral part of the business that has seen significant investment in systems, processes and people; and are central to the continued double-digit growth and success of Sophos.
This role is part of our IT Platforms team which provides technical leadership for our IT server infrastructure. We have an ambitious program to transform our landscape over the next few years, focused on bringing in the latest technologies and innovations. This year the team are delivering a big uplift to our backup infrastructure that will see the elimination of tapes in addition to delivering a $1m investment in our server estate. The successful candidate will be at the center of a number of exciting initiatives with many opportunities to contribute and open doors for even bigger next steps.
As a Senior Engineer you will be responsible for managing and maintaining all aspects of our IT server infrastructure whilst providing strategic direction to projects aimed at transforming our IT organization. This will include working with the following technologies; NetApp including FAS and Cloud ONTAP, CommVault backup, Windows 2016 server, VMWare virtualization, AWS.
Within this role you will be focused on ensuring smooth operation of these technologies across the business with a desire to see continual improvement. The role holder will set the strategic direction of enterprise storage within Sophos at an exciting point where we seek to ask the hard questions about what we must to today to meet the business requirements of the future. The role holder will be able to support their technical decisions with a detailed explanation as to their course of action. The role holder will contribute to high profile IT projects within Sophos and be expected to drive change within the team.
Our end vision is to provide our business with a consumption-based approach to compute, and the associated technologies, that is accessible and frictionless for our employees. The focus is on modernizing our environment, replace our legacy processes and systems with innovative technologies which secure our services.
We are a global company operating out of 27 countries and operational for 22 hours per day. This role will require out of hours support and occasional weekend working.
- Technical ownership of the global Netapp enterprise storage solution
- Technical ownership of the CommVault backup solution
Completion of critical backup improvement project which includes
- Migration of backup archive to cloud storage provider
- Sunset of old tape-based archive solution
- Integration of managed service into existing service management methodologies
- Governance and reporting on health of enterprise storage solution
- Governance and reporting on health of backup solution
- Automation of repeatable tasks through Powershell and Ansible
- Managing and configuring server backup policies and schedules
- Evaluating alternative approaches to the status quo and reporting to senior leadership
- Responsible for operational excellence and maintaining the uptime and availability of services
- Troubleshoot incidents across all aspects of the IT server infrastructure, including leveraging technical tools to analyse issues
- Support and train peers and junior engineers in your area of expertise
Skills & Abilities
- NetApp storage; AFF, FAS, E-series and Cloud ONTAP
- CommVault backup; Governance and administration
- VMWare ESX6.+
Deep technical expertise in at least one of the following technologies:
- HCI – VXRail, Nutanix
- Virtualization – Hyper-V, Virtualbox
- Cloud compute and storage – AWS
- Automation Tools – Powershell, Ansible, PowerCLI
- Must have experience leading projects that delivered large scale infrastructure improvements
- Must have experience in governance for enterprise storage, setting and reporting on policy health.
- Must be comfortable delivering training, presentations and content to large audiences
- Must have strong communication skills including experience in communicating to C-level executives
- Must be a team player and have passion for technology
- Understanding of how TCP/IP functions and how some of the core services such as DNS and DHCP work and their practical uses
- Must have understanding of core networking technologies such as OSI
- Experience providing technical input into multiple projects
Ability to produce high quality technical documentation including;
- Standard operating procedures
- Knowledge base articles
- Detailed troubleshooting documentation
Sophos is committed to equality opportunity in all areas of its work. All qualified applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.
More Jobs From