Although things are a bit quieter on the VentureFizz Networking Calendar this week (being prime summer vacation time and all) there are still some awesome opportunities to connect with fellow entrepreneurs, learn from experienced insiders, and enjoy all that the Boston startup scene has to offer.
As always, Thursday features the OpenCoffee Cambridge in the morning at Voltage and the VentureCafé is in session in the afternoon/early evening at the CIC. If you haven’t attended these weekly gatherings in Kendall Square, this would be a great week to check them out for the first time.
There are also a ton of great talks and events this week, here are some of the great takes:
-Mobile Monday is gathering as many folks from the tech/innovation ecosystem as they can for a mid-summer throw down this evening. Right now there is a wait list to attend the event, but if I were you, I’d sign up. It’s free and this should be one of the best events of the week.
The Summer Party is a networking event that is being jointly hosted by Mobile Monday and a ton of other local tech/innovation organizations including MITX, MassTLC, Drinks on Tap, The Boston New Tech Meetup, The Capital Network, and more.
Being held at the new District Hall building in the Innovation District, the event will have a cash bar, views of the water, and a chance to network with other likeminded Boston tech folk. (Also, this is your first chance to check out the new Boston-based innovation center being run by the CIC/Venture Café.)
More info on the event here.
- Web Start Women are having a cool event for those interested in UI/UX. Being held at the CIC, 'UI/UX 101' will feature Ligmie Preval, Athenahealth’s UX team’s Senior Usability Expert. Preval will be discussing Usability Research and making products and systems easier to use.
You can check out more info on the event here.
- There are a couple of interesting events on Wednesday, including the start of the first ever Dyn Geek Summer Camp. Free to attend, the event is being held at Dyn World Headquarters in Manchester, NH, and features some great keynote speakers, including former NH governor John Lynch.
If anything, the event gives you the opportunity to learn from some industry experts, the chance to check out a great city in Manchester, and, maybe even allow some time to sneak off to the Saco River, hike the Presidentials, or catch some surf at Rye Beach.
More info here on this great event.
- The Harvard i-Lab will be hosting a book launch and party for Bill Aulet’s latest, Disciplined Entrepreneurship. There will be a discussion moderated by HBS/i-Lab’s Joe Lassiter as well as a book signing by Aulet, a Harvard grad and Managing Director of the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship.
For more on the event, check here.
- Although it is a quiet week at Intelligent.ly, Wednesday night’s class is a can’t miss opportunity for fledgling startups/entrepreneurs. “Name Your Company & Design a Knockout Logo” is a workshop with NameGirl’s Kimberly Rose and Alphabet Arm’s Aaron Belyea.
If you want some great feedback on your current company’s logo/name, sign up and send in your company’s media. You may be selected to have your company logo featured in the group workshop.
More info on the class here.
- Thursday’s featured event is Startup Institute’s Student Exposé. The class of this Summer’s Startup Institute will be on display to meet, greet, and possibly hire. The event is being held at the Harvard i-Lab and begins at 10:00 am.
More on the event can be found here.
- Gamers should head over to Microsoft NERD for GameLoop, a gaming focused un-conference being held on Saturday. What should be a truly interactive event shouldn’t be missed. If you’ve never attended an un-conference before, this is a good chance to share your knowledge and learn from others in the gaming community.
For more on GameLoop Boston, check here.
For a full list of events this week and for the rest of the month, check out VentureFizz’s Networking Calendar. Feel free to add any events to the calendar and ping me at firstname.lastname@example.org with some great events that may not be on our radar yet.
Coming soon: Mass Innovation Nights Foodie event, INBOUND 13, Startup Bootcamp, and more.
Dennis Keohane is a staff writer for VentureFizz. You can follow Dennis on Twitter (@DBKeohane) by clicking here.