Thursday Dec 20, 2012 by Ralph Folz - CEO, WordStream
For many new companies, the first few months – and sometimes years – are just focused on getting things off the ground. Creating a solid business model, securing funding and ensuring that your product or service is actually viable will likely consume all of your focus. But what happens next? Your company has launched, it’s a success, and now you’re hiring new employees. In many cases, filling quite a few positions. What do you do with all of these new people and how can you ensure that they’re working productively and in sync with the foundation on which your company was built?
Define your core purpose and core values.
This is a process we recently undertook at WordStream. We took a step back and realized that having a guiding principal for how we operate is essential to our future success. Companies that have a defined sense of self work better. Team members are more aligned and feel that they’re working towards something, not just for someone. When they have a greater sense of purpose, employees are happier and work harder, which ultimately increases a business’ success and bottom line.
Our Core Purpose – to bring the power of search marketing to businesses of all sizes – aligns every member of our team and reminds our team what we are trying to accomplish together.
Creating core values is not a process that comes together overnight. We spent a substantial amount of time brainstorming, defining and refining our values into a single mantra that means something to our employees, partners and clients.
In the spirit of sharing what we learned from this journey, these are my tips to help your company define and distill your core values:
Defining your company’s core values and implementing them is just the beginning of the journey. Once they truly become a mantra in your office, you’ll witness a different in your company culture – and your bottom line. Here is the finished product. Let me know what you think!
1. We believe in fostering a culture of transparency. We are committed to promoting open, two-way communication, so that every stakeholder knows where we stand and where we need to focus our energies to improve the company.
2. We bring it! We have an unrelenting drive to be great. We reach for awesome results, take pride in high-quality work, and deliver amazing customer service.
3. We are passionate about providing thought leadership to our customers and industry. As a go-to source for expertise in Internet marketing, we like to turn confusion into understanding and complexity into clear direction.
4. We take action. We won't wait. “That's not my job” is never uttered. We jump on opportunities or challenges and are never afraid of unexpected outcomes.
5. Our people have ambition for shared success. Everyone contributes and everyone is valued. Winning together transcends all aspects of WordStream.
6. Our people are authentic and adhere to the highest level of ethics and integrity. We believe in doing what is right for our colleagues, customers and shareholders, and we have the courage to address any issue in an honest and open manner.